Winter Turkeys

Winter Turkeys
Winter Turkeys

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Sewing with Peggy

I have at least a couple of calendar entries every month titled "Sewing with Peggy". Peggy is my friend and sewing mentor. She and her husband, Dave, own the local hardware store (the coolest hardware store in the INW). She is an amazing seamstress and sells some of her wares in the store. I love her aprons!

We became friends after I took in my tattered Halloween witch to ask for her advice on repairing it. She offered to take the witch home and repair it herself. She named her "Wanda" and she came back looking better than ever!


I began going over to Peggy's to sew about a year ago. I am learning not only how to sew, but to embroider, make appliqués, and quilt. So much fun!



Peggy and Dave have a charming house right on the lake.




This is where the magic happens! The measuring, cutting, ironing, pinning, embroidering, and sewing. That's Stanley on the left and Bentley on the right. They supervise.

Today, Peggy is helping me plan to make some pillow shams for our guest room.




This is the sham I'm using for a pattern.

















And this is the fabric I'm using. Isn't it perfect for a cozy cabin? I got it at Peggy's Fantastic Fabric Store.





Here's Peggy looking through her pattern drawer. That's the lake in the background. What a gorgeous view! Peggy is working on some overalls for her grandson. Adorable!

Turns out we can't get very far today on the shams because I need to wash and dry the fabric before we start cutting.

What to do? What to do? Oh, let's eat lunch!



It's a beautiful spring day, so we're eating out on the deck.



The birds are joining us for lunch at their own dining area.


Woodpeckers, blue jays and hawks are regulars here.




Mt. Spokane is looking quite majestic today.



Peggy made a delicious vegetarian chili with all the fixins. Delicious!
















Celecia, Peggy's friend and housekeeper/dogsitter, is from New Zealand. She made some tasty peanut biscuits (cookies) last time I went to Peggy's. Wait a minute, do I go over there to sew or eat?


Stanley has prostate cancer and isn't feeling very good. He was enjoying the sunshine and the breeze through his fur.



Every year, this goose and her mate use this flower pot on Peggy's and Dave's dock to start a new family. This year, she has seven eggs in the nest.



Time for a stretch break.













Here comes Papa Goose.


Back to work. Mom is nesting and Papa is patrolling.


So I'm well-fed and have the leftover chili to enjoy later this week. I also have my homework assignment to wash, dry and iron the sham fabric.


Another fun day at Peggy's house. Until next time!

1 comment: