Winter Turkeys

Winter Turkeys
Winter Turkeys

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Quick Trip to California, Part I

I recently drove down to California to kidnap my Dad and his dog, Angel, and bring them back up to Idaho for a long visit.

I started out driving through Washington down to the Columbia River. It was a gorgeous day, the traffic was light, and I was looking forward to seeing Dad and Angel.

Looking west along the Columbia
I made my way down to Salem, Oregon to spend the night. I found an excellent sushi restaurant for supper. I miss sushi. Haven't found a decent sushi place yet around where I live now.

No, this sushi wasn't pink. It was called a Mango Tango roll. The light at the sushi bar was an electric blue.
Believe me, the sushi was delicious!
The next day I continued south on I-5 until I got to a rest area north of Mount Shasta. It was a very pleasant spot for lunch. The scenery on this trip was spectacular.

A peaceful place to rest and have a bite to eat.
I love that first view of Mount Shasta. It almost takes your breath away. What an awesome sight.

I can't imagine climbing to the top.
I don't even like climbing to the top of a ladder.
After a long day of driving down the central California valley, I finally arrived at Dad's house. He was happy to see me. And, boy, was I happy to see him! And get out of that truck.



After a delicious supper at Applebee's with family friends (Lucy, Gail, Mary, Terry and Arlene), I settled in for a much-needed night of slumber.

The next day, I drove to El Dorado Hills to visit with my dear friend, Cheryl. Cheryl and I worked together at the Dept. of Developmental Services. We had, hands down, the most fun I've ever had at work. I mean, we had fun WORKING. Doesn't get much better than that.

Cheryl with Rosie and Dixie

Cheryl lives on Folsom Lake at the top of a hill. She has a pretty awesome view from her front yard pastures.



Rosie and Dixie seem to like their digs, too.



Cheryl's backyard view is not bad, either. Folsom Lake is full again and everything is green.



Sunny D, Cheryl's Min Pin, likes to hang out with the grownups.



After chatting for a bit, we decided to take a hike down to a picnic table that Cheryl and her husband, Kevin, have by the edge of the lake.



It provides a peaceful view for a picnic or quiet conversation.



Then Cheryl asked "Are you up for a little hike? There's a nice trail right over here that loops back up to the house." "Sure!" I was going to ask if it was OK that I just had my sandals on, but then I noticed Cheryl was wearing flip-flops. So, off we went.

The trail started off fairly wide and open, but then got overgrown and barely visible. It had only been a week or so since Cheryl had hiked it, but it had rained and the grass and brush had become prolific. Soon, however, the jungle receded and we found the trail again.




Then I heard Cheryl say "Uh oh!"




The trail was underwater! It's supposed to go right over there where the trees are standing. I guess Folsom Lake really is back.




So Cheryl cut her own trail through the grass, over to where she knew the trail wound around. I followed carefully, keeping a sharp eye out for snakes.

The Goose Family cheered us on


We met up with the trail shortly thereafter and made our way back to her house, where we enjoyed a nice glass of wine with lunch.

Love the look on Cheryl's face. She didn't have another clean
wine glass so she used a short plastic glass. "Whatever!"


After lunch, we took a fun drive in their golf cart. We drove up through the wealthiest part of the neighborhood to the tippy top of the hills, overlooking the lake.



I see Cheryl's house! And one of her horsies!



A good time was had by all. Especially Sunny D.



"If only they would let me drive this thing." 


Stay tuned for Part II, wherein I visit Debra and Gay, and haul Dad and Angel back with me to the Inland Northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment