Winter Turkeys

Winter Turkeys
Winter Turkeys

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Chainsaw Chap


If you're going to live in the country, you need a Chainsaw Chap. Luckily, I brought one with me. His name is Bruce.


Actually, the name of the protective leather gear you wear when using a chainsaw is chainsaw chaps, but I thought it would make a cute nickname. Maybe not.

Bruce harvested five dead trees on our property, using the skills he mastered as a lumberjack years before I met him.

He's been a lumberjack, longshoreman, archeologist, and heavy equipment operator, among many other things. At least that's what he tells me. I think he watches "How Do They Do It" and then just tells people he used to hold all of these jobs, and knows just enough about how the jobs are done to fool them. Hmmm...

I'm pretty sure he really used to be a lumberjack, though, because I've seen pictures of him in logging gear actually out logging.

He's going to use the harvested trees to make a new gate for our garden. This is the gate we have now:

  It's rolled-up fencing that is latched with a hook on one side. To open it, you have to unhook it and then carry the awkward load of the fencing into the garden and balance it against the back of the garden fence.






It isn't that bad, but it isn't good either. The previous owners started building this garden, and they did a wonderful job. Now we need to finish it and make it our own. We have a vision; now to make it a reality.

Luckily, I have Chainsaw Chap by my side to make my dreams come true.

1 comment: