Winter Turkeys

Winter Turkeys
Winter Turkeys

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I'm The Boss of Me

My husband and I have pretty evenly divided the tasks that are needed to keep our house, property and animals in tip top shape. OK, in reality, he does a lot more than I do, which I appreciate more than he knows. I guess I should tell him that more often.

In any case, one of my tasks is bookkeeper, or as I like to be called, the Money Juggler. I move money between multiple banks and accounts, schedule and pay bills, and balance checkbooks. And I mean balance checkbooks - to the penny. I really can't sleep if I allow that 23 cents to continue to elude me.

Some days, I sit at the desk shuffling papers and checkbooks, tapping on the calculator, moving from website to website, writing checks, revising our monthly budget. After awhile, I look up in a stupor to find that hours have gone by. My stomach is rumbling, I'm thirsty, my muscles are stiff. What kind of boss would force someone to work without a break like that? Oh, that's right. Me. Now that I'm retired, I am the boss of me. But guess what? I am working for myself, my husband, our animals, and our wonderful Idaho life. So I'll put up with my new boss. She did give me a really nice office space to use.
 As I work, I can look out the window and see our season's first fawn eating and hear birds singing. Not bad.

I can also bring all of my animals to work, including the four cats! Now what other employer would let you do that?

And I haven't even mentioned the fact that I can wear whatever I want. I won't mention what I have on right now, but you can bet I would get called in to the boss' office and sent home to change.

So I think I'll keep this job, even if my new boss sometimes doesn't let me get up and go get a snack until I feel faint. Now I just need to find that 23 cents so I don't fire myself.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cool day at the office with your furry colleagues. Grape is your color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it was hot pink with white stripes, and raspberry garden clogs! Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love you and your funny sense of humor, Yami....It makes me smile! Just one of your many fine qualities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much better than your office here and no drama!

    NOTE: I like to use Mint (www.mint.com) to manage multiple accounts. You can see all your accounts (e.g. banks, mortgage, IRA, credit cards, etc.) in one place. There's also an iPhone app for it too. Try it, you won't be sorry!

    -G

    ReplyDelete